Monday, September 13, 2010

The last supper: A Nelson Mandela version

I was a bit worried when I read the paper today and came across the ‘last supper’ painting we all know of Jesus having supper with his disciples; but in this case it was Nelson Mandela who was depicted as Jesus and the disciples where the humanitarians who fought for liberalization of people who were oppressed in the past. The people depicted are Martin Luther King, Desmond Tutu, Albert Luthuli and others.

I understand the great role Nelson Mandela and the rest of the people I have mentioned above played, but to depict Nelson Mandela as some kind of God is just taking it a bit too far. I don’t know what might have been going through the artist’s head when he was creating the painting; maybe he just saw it as an opportunity to make money.

As a Christian I feel that it has broken one of Gods commands that says “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.

It doesn’t surprise me anymore what kind of lengths people would go through in order to make a quick buck.

Signing out>Sbosh

No comments:

Post a Comment