Thursday, May 20, 2010

Why are goodbyes hard?


Saying good bye to people you are fond of or people that you love is never something that is easy to do. Goodbyes though can be a good thing; it could mean that you are moving on to better things or new experiences. It may be an opportunity to create memories elsewhere as well as meet new people and form new relationships. You may not know what lies ahead but you will certainly hope for the best.

One of the hardest good bye I encountered was when I had to leave the organisation I completed by in-service training at. I had been at the organisation for eight months though it felt that I had been there for years because of the kindness and support I experienced from the people I worked with. The organisation had grown to be my second home and my colleagues had grown to be my second family. There was a whole lot of excitement felt when a person was either getting married or having a baby, it was celebrated by everyone just like a true family.

Upon my last day at work, my friends from work had planned a surprise farewell do for me, I had no idea they were doing this behind my back so luckily I didn’t catch on. Even though at one point I almost did, but that would have spoilt the whole surprise. Suddenly I saw my colleagues in my office getting together and I wondered what was happening. Soon I realised that they were about to bid farewell to me, they had organised some snacks and drinks as well as goodie bag, promotional items of the organisation, flowers and a card signed by everyone in our department. My eyes were full of tears, but I managed to contain myself from crying as some of my colleagues said a few words about what kind of person I am and wished me all the best for the future.

As I left the building at the end of my last day at work, the harsh reality kicked in. I realised that I wouldn’t be coming in there every morning as I have been doing so for the past eight months. We will just have to wait and see though what the future holds for me ….

Signing out> Sbosh

No comments:

Post a Comment